Wednesday, August 5, 2015

On the good foot

 
 
 
First Grave on the Right  by Darynda Jones
 
 
 
8788554
 
 




This whole grim reaper thing should have come with a manual.
Or a diagram of some kind.
A flow chart would have been nice.

Charley Davidson is a part-time private investigator and full-time grim reaper. Meaning, she sees dead people. Really. And it's her job to convince them to "go into the light." But when these very dead people have died under less than ideal circumstances (like murder), sometimes they want Charley to bring the bad guys to justice. Complicating matters are the intensely hot dreams she's been having about an entity who has been following her all her life...and it turns out he might not be dead after all. In fact, he might be something else entirely. But what does he want with Charley? And why can't she seem to resist him? And what does she have to lose by giving in?
 
 
 
 
Rate & take
 
 
 
Photobucket
 
 
 
Reader's Note: I kept this book lingering on my Amazon wish list for, like, months. It sounded good, it was well rated, it's just that it cost full price for the ebook edition. I'm all about the bargain, free or .99 cent books! I know they all can't be basement discounted, but I also know it can get expensive to got hooked on a series at full price. But, forked over the money I eventually did, again and again, even when my brain was screaming stop, my heart was saying, this series is like a Pringles - you can't eat (er, read) just one. That is why I wait-listed it for as long as I could. When I could not take the reading drought any longer (nothing good to read on my horizon and nothing I owned was catching my interest) I got off the bucks and got happy reading. And I am so glad I did!
This is the first book in the Charley Davidson series and currently there are 8 books, the 9th will be out in January, 2016. And large cost or no, I will be buying that book. If you do decide to read this book, and are buying an ebook, save yourself some money and buy the bundle that has books 1-3. There is also a bundle for books 4-6, which I did buy. Sadly I missed out on the first bundle because I didn't know it was available.
 
 
Charley is a bit of a Jill of all trades, she helps the local police department, has her own public investigation business, and can see/hear/talk/and touch/dead people. There are two things you can count on with Charley, she always runs into the fray to save the day, (most of the time with an ill advised half-assed plan) and she will wise crack on every step of the way. I have come to love that about her, but in this first book, and only this one, it feels like the author tried a little too hard with the quips. That is the only negative I have to say about this book. As an added bonus there is a little heat spinkled in with the danger, and sometimes the heat was the danger, but I will leave that to you to find out. For me it was pure reading fun.
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment