Thursday, August 14, 2014

Tidal wave



The Prince of Tides by Pay Conroy


Tom Wingo has lost his job, and is on the verge of losing his marriage, when he learns that his twin sister, Savannah, has attempted suicide again. At the behest of Savannah’s psychiatrist, Tom reluctantly leaves his home in South Carolina to travel to New York City and aid in his sister’s therapy. As Tom’s relationship with her psychiatrist deepens, he reveals to her the turbulent history of the Wingo family, and exposes the truth behind the fateful day that changed their lives forever.

Drawing richly from Pat Conroy’s own troubled upbringing, The Prince of Tides is a sweeping and powerful story of how unlocking the past can be the secret to overcoming the darkest of personal demons.


Rate & take


Photobucket


This was certainly an energetic read for me during the the time of year I consider the best time to champion the lite read. But, I could not resist. I had seen the movie several years ago so I was confident I had enough distance between the two so I could avoid the pitfalls of comparisons. The writing in this book is pure sweet tasting prose even when the subject matter follows some of the worst things humans are capable of. My only issue was that in some sections it went a bit overlong and could have used a small bit of editing. Other than that the story is powerful and satisfying. It's one of those books that lingers with you for some time after you've finished reading it.



No comments:

Post a Comment