Friday, April 4, 2014

Reading Dynamite


17333223Goldfinch by Donna Tartt



A young boy in New York City, Theo Decker, miraculously survives an accident that takes the life of his mother. Alone and determined to avoid being taken in by the city as an orphan, Theo scrambles between nights in friends’ apartments and on the city streets. He becomes entranced by the one thing that reminds him of his mother, a small, mysteriously captivating painting that soon draws Theo into the art underworld.








Rate & take

Photobucket


I call this reading dynamite because this book took me to some pretty dark places that I normally fear to go (thus my usual fare of lighthearted reads) and did it so well that it was mind blowing. The writing was masterful and near the end I was rewarded with some beautifully composed metaphysical discussions and internal dialog. 


Readers Note: This book came highly recommended from a co-worker and admittedly it was a far left turn from my usual reading picks. But as I mentioned in a past post my usual just wasn't scratching the reading itch. Not to worry kids, it's nice to stop off and visit serious reading land every now and then, but I won't be dwelling here.

No comments:

Post a Comment