Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Beasties Revisited



Reliquary by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child


39030



Hidden deep beneath Manhattan lies a warren of tunnels, sewers, and galleries, mostly forgotten by those who walk the streets above. There lies the ultimate secret of the Museum Beast. When two grotesquely deformed skeletons are found deep in the mud off the Manhattan shoreline, museum curator Margo Green is called in to aid the investigation. Margo must once again team up with police lieutenant D'Agosta and FBI agent Pendergast, as well as the brilliant Dr. Frock, to try and solve the puzzle. The trail soon leads deep underground, where they will face the awakening of a slumbering nightmare.


Rate & take




rel·i·quar·y
ˈreləˌkwerē/
noun
  1. a container for holy relics.



I figured I would share the definition since I had to look it up for myself. I love when a book can not only entertain, but also impart some knowledge along the way. Lucky for me the author's of this, the Pendergast series, are chock full of all kinds of knowledge.

Something I find really interesting about this series is that its namesake, Agent Pendergast of the FBI, began as a small character in book one (Relic) then became a larger character in this book. Now in book three (which I am reading as I write this) he is the main character, however we still don't know his first name, or more than a small handful of personal information on him. A deliberate tool by the author's, doling out the details in small bits no doubt. All I have to say about that is, I love it! It's brilliant!! I am at their beck and call wanting to know more. More! Just the kind of loyalty every author could wish for.

For the last however many chapters, this story had me reeling back and forth. I would be knee deep in the action with one set of characters only to turn the page and find I was with a totally different set. Stranding the the first group for however long it took the author's to return me to them. UGH! Sweet torture!! And I loved every minute of it. These guys sure weave a deft tale that promises to keep me coming back for some time to come. Oh and the shocker at the end, had a chill racing up my spine. To say "I didn't see that coming" is a grand understatement. 



No comments:

Post a Comment